Thursday, January 25, 2007

Channeling David Letterman

This is a somewhat unusual post for this blog, but I think it's pertinent, given the subject matter and concept here. This is a list of 10 books that I consider among my favorites for reasons of preference and due to their effects on my life. Following is the unordered list with a short blurb of reasoning. There're no links because if you're reading this, you can probably figure it out and truthfully you've probably already heard of or read them by now.

Tao Te Ching by Lao-Tzu - improved my balancing act.

Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - introduced me to satire and influenced my writing style tremendously.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut- darkened my doorstep.

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran - taught myself about myself.

Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams - solidified my doubts.

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - introduced proper fantasy and storytelling myth.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett - dramatized important and funny philosophy.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche - rewrote common ideology and morality.

Sandman by Neil Gaiman, et. al. - illustrated the dark places of the mind.

You may also notice a certain peculiarity to my Top 10 list. I'm a big fan of irony, no matter how slight.

3 comments:

DarkWood said...

Excellent list. I am also a fan of pretty much everything you've posted. I was considering adding a Discworld book to my own list, but I simply couldn't pick out just one, haha.

Josh said...

The Tao-Te-Ching just might be one of my reads for February.

Then again, I might spend some time writing some Ravenloft material...

newtngirl said...

Hmmm, I see one of your readers is familiar with the Sacred Chao (darkwood). Are you? Lovely top 9 list, in any event. Though it probably won't be life-changing for you, you might enjoy the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, assuming it's one you haven't already consumed.